Luxury bedding & comforter sets
Since we spend about a third of our lives sleeping, do you want to spend it on a bed that's so-so? Of course not! It takes just one night to know if you love or can't stand your bedding. With lavish bedspreads, here's to no more fitful
nights! By focusing on layers of comfort with your bed linens, you can improve a full third of your life in subtle and noticeable ways. This checklist will help you create more than a soft place to land. Focusing on notes of
aesthetics, comfort, quality materials, and finer details like breathability and durability, let's build the bedspread of your dreams.
High End Bedding Styles
Before you dive into fine details, let's start a little higher on most people's priority list – style! This isn’t a materialistic perspective to take, as you will actually find all varieties of quality, prices and materials within
each of the main style categories of bed linens. In that sense, picking your style is arguably the fastest route for finding the best quality bedding for you.
Building the bed of your dreams
Duvets and duvet covers are the focus in the images above. But keep in mind that you can always refine any category in the "style" category in the left navigation of each page. This includes comforter sets
and quilt sets
. In all three cases, the top layers of any bedspread will reflect your unique style best. This is also a good place to start building your beautiful bedding set based on your climate, represented in differences in thickness between the three. Also, styles are by no means limited to the four provided above for visual reference. Choose from modern, rustic, patterned, floral, country, striped, and more. With all of that said, let's look a little more closely at some of the key visual differences:
Bedding Style Pro Tips
- Traditional Bed Sets: Hallmarks of traditional bedding are order, predictability and "classic" design motifs. Traditional styles are not boring by any means. But they do tend to be more restrained in terms of colors, patterns and the like. Traditional bedding can incorporate ornate details for unique flourishes, but will generally hover somewhere around solid, less dramatic colors and designs.
- Transitional bedding: Transitional is where contemporary and traditional styles collide in a fusion of colors and motifs. Patterns and colors can edge into the eccentric without going overboard with overly unconventional design motifs.
- Contemporary Bedding: Elegant bedding of the contemporary variety can be much more outlandish, though with softened features and rounded lines. Unlike austere modern, contemporary will also incorporate very powerful colors when the designer was compelled to do so.
- Solid bed sets: Timeless and able to blend with any complimentary colors, solid sheets and blankets will bring understated elegance to any room.
Bedding Sets Checklist
Now that you have an idea of what to expect from pillars of style within designer bed linens, you're ready to refine your search by other criteria. Here's where softness (materials), durability, laundering characteristics and piece count come into play amid other considerations.
Pro tips for choosing the softest bedding
Pictures just don't do softness any justice! Since softness is something that surrounds you, you'll know when it's just right. Bedsheets are really where this comes into play more than anywhere else within high end bedding. Naturally there is a "good, better, best" to consider when it comes to blanket and sheet softness, and softness will scale up with pricing. In general, the softest bed material are extra-long fiber cotton. You might know it as long-staple fibers if fabrics are a passion of yours. Pima, Egyptian and supima are generally heralded as the most comfortable of these varieties of cotton, though cotton boasts quite a large family tree.
Pro tips for picking durable bed sets
- 100% Egyptian Cotton: The king of soft cottons, true Egyptian cotton has extra-long fibers for enviable softness. Our bed sheets buying guide goes to great lengths to explain the differences between Egyptian, prima, supima (pima), micro cotton, MicroCotton™, Turkish and upland cotton. In the image above, you'll find a link to one of our single ply 100% Egyptian cotton bed sheets in our selection.
- Egyptian Cotton Polyester blends: It's common for sheets to combine the best of affordability, softness, thread count and breathability through Egyptian cotton polyester blends. Being synthetic, polyester is far more durable for laundering. It's also much more affordable. Yet, polyester is far less breathable and soft, so when the two are combined, you can begin to see the advantages of the two fusing to keep down costs, increase durability, and maintain the softer qualities of Egyptian cotton.
The truth about durability is two fold. On the one hand, the materials you select will play a part in the overall durability of your designer bedding. From there, your own laundering will play a major role in determining the overall shelf life of your bedding.
In general, polyester is more durable than cotton, staying strong with frequent washes. It's also more resistant to wrinkling than cotton, although it will pill over time. If you're looking for the absolute best in durability, however, you can move along from polyester altogether. Make way for linen, the strongest natural fiber in the world! Derived from the flax plant, linen has very long fibers that are thicker than cotton. Thermal regulating and antibacterial, linen also delivers a one-two punch of other desirable traits. In all cases, following the laundering instructions on your bedding is critical for preserving the long term durability of any fiber. So while it may be tempting just to wash away at any temperature or setting, for the long term well-being of your bedding, do your homework and follow the instructions.
Finding the best comforter sets for you
If you've ever built a quality bedding set, you've probably learned it is less economical and harder to get every little piece to match piece-by-piece. Luxury comforter sets can help take the guess work out of the entire process by bundling up to 24 bedding pieces in a single set all the way down to a single comforter and everything in between. Below are just a few shots of the sheer breadth of options!
Where lavishness and bargains combine
In this guide we spent a lot of time talking about luxury bed sets. But it's important to note that "luxury" doesn’t necessarily mean it will empty out your coffers! The more you shop for blankets, sheets and the like on our site, the more you'll learn that you can find the right balance for you across different fabrics, piece counts, brands and more. We strive to give you as many options as possible to make your experience seamless and leave you happy with your purchase. Once again, here's to an enjoyable shopping experience and even better, a good night's rest!