The One Room Challenge is a semi-annual design challenge hosted by lifestyle blogger and design enthusiast, Linda, of Calling It Home. For six weeks, Linda invites twenty talented designers to transform a room in their home, or the home of a client. The designers document their process over the six weeks on their blogs with plenty of pictures, inspiration, and real-life advice. The end result is a wonderful display of hard work, talent and 20 beautifully unique designed rooms.
This time around we were thrilled to partner with Linda and the bloggers as official sponsors of the One Room Challenge Fall 2015. Here are just a few of our favorite rooms, with ideas on how to “get the look” for your own home!
Arianna’s living room was transformed into a cozy space that invites you to sit down and unwind. With soft grays, whites and pops of playful lavender and navy, Arianna created a tranquil and sophisticated living room with a separate area for formal dining. To add storage, Arianna selected our large seagrass baskets as well as a versatile accent table for her room.
Get the Look:
Get the look for yourself by selecting neutral comfortable furniture, funky modern lighting and accessories with pops of color and bold prints. By keeping the furniture and walls neutral you can have fun with some color and easily and inexpensively change up the look of your room as often as you like.
1. Access Lighting Flux Bronze 16-Light Vintage Pendant / 2. Wholesale Interiors Porter Black Oak Accent End Table / 3. East Enterprise White 22-Inch Gourd Table Lamp / 4. Safavieh Home Furniture Off White Ottoman / 5. Uttermost Destello Carved Teak Wood with Gold Leaf Gold Starburst Mirror / 6. Zuo Modern Contemporary Cole Valley Beige and Oak Wood Side Chair / 7. Jaipur Luxe Navy 20-Inch Decorative Pillow / 8. The Pillow Collection Desdemona Plain Pillow Lavender / 9. Kalalou Seagrass Round Braided Storage Basket with Handle, Set of 3
Because It’s Awesome
Tobe’s eclectic style is translated to perfection in her renovated dining room. Doubling as her workspace, Tobe kept the room neutral with light colored walls but upped the wow factor with bold antique furnishings, graphic artwork and a custom wall of built-in shelves that showcase her love of all things brass. We simply adore this dining room and all that it entails!
Get the Look:
Get the look for yourself by selecting an assortment of antique furnishings and décor mixed with beautiful modern lighting. Keep your walls simple with a neutral color and add drama through your décor and furnishing choices. A renovation does not mean everything has to be new. Incorporate sentimental keepsakes with new items for a personal and meaningful design.
1. Elk Lighting Laureldale White 21-Inch Ceiling Medallion / 2. Zuo Modern Contemporary Ageostrophic White Six Light Pendant / 3. Visual Comfort and Company Alabaster Terri Large Lamp / 4. Howard Elliott Collection Textured Gold Round Vase -Small / 5. Couture Global Explorations Antique Brass Antique Brass Orbs, Set of 3 / 6. Oriental Furniture 11 Inch Porcelain Vase Jar Blue and White Floral, Width – 8 Inches / 7. Coast to Coast Imports Brown Round Dining Table / 8. Kalalou Seagrass Round Braided Storage Basket with Handle, Set of 3
Cassandra designed a lovely feminine dressing room that any girl would swoon over. With a stunning wallpapered accent wall and plenty of soft textures, who wouldn’t want to get dressed in this room every morning? The shiny brass and gold accents add to the sophisticated feel of the room. With all of her clothes and accessories so beautifully displayed, it is the perfect place to hide away, relax or prep for the day.
Get the Look:
Get the look of Cassandras heavenly dressing room for yourself by adding a playful accent wall, soft colors and textures and ample storage. Choose brass or gold accents and make the room extra cozy with a plush chaise lounge.
1. Visual Comfort and Company Hand-Rubbed Antique Brass Tiny Terri Lamp / 2. York Wallcoverings Risky Business II Toss The Bouquet Wallpaper / 3. Hudson Valley Morris Aged Brass Two-Light Wall Sconce with White Shade / 4. Skyline Furniture, Mfg. Linen Grey Chaise Lounge / 5. Loloi Multicolor 18-Inch Decorative Pillow with Poly Insert
Sherry took on a major endeavor when renovating her sisters’ living room, dining room, kitchen combo for her 6 week One Room Challenge. But to say that her efforts were well worth it is an understatement. Sherry delivered on all fronts with a beautiful, cohesive space that is magazine worthy. Breathing life into her sisters’ home, Sherry selected furniture and décor that are as livable and comfortable as they are beautiful and stylish. Painting the wood floors white and keeping with a neutral grey, black and white color scheme, Sherry gave the space a fresh look and feel. Every detail from the coffee table vignette to the gallery wall is executed with a careful eye. What a treat it was to follow along on Sherry’s design.
Get the Look:
Get the look for your own home by taking a risk. Paint the floors white, add wallpaper, swap out your light fixture. By keeping a neutral color scheme and incorporating natural textures your room will feel fresh yet stay timeless. Choose a variety of elements such as a faux fur rug with a bold pattern, mixed metal accessories, and don’t be afraid to paint some of your existing furniture and add new hardware for an updated look.
1. Loloi Grand Canyon Camel and Beige Novelty: 3 Ft 10 In x 5 Ft Rug / 2. Crystorama Lighting Group Calypso Vibrant Bronze Three Light Crystal Teardrop Semi-Flush Mount / 3. Arteriors Home Wendy Glossy White Web Porcelain Lamp / 4. Arteriors Home Mason Dark Natural Iron One Light Wide Hammered Pendant / 5. Arteriors Home Diana Brass Embossed Authentic Horns, Set of Two / 6. e by design Stitch in Time Black 18-Inch Stripes Print Pillow / 7. Moe’s Home Collection Rosolini Light Grey 33-Inch Sofa / 8. George Kovacs Wah-Hoo One-Light Dorian Bronze Floor Lamp
Naomi renovated her entire city condo in just 6 short weeks, a near impossible feat, yet she made it happen and greatly impressed us with her transformation. With light walls and neutral furnishings, Naomi wows us with her choice of accessories. From polished brass lamps to animal print rugs, Naomi creates an inviting living space with a funky flair. And need we mention how amazing her kitchen turned out? Stunning. With limited time and money, Naomi makes us believe anything is possible.
Get the Look:
To achieve the look of Naomi’s funky city condo, try bold accessories with plenty of texture. Choose a show stopping chandelier, paired with a more modern dining table and chairs. It’s all about the mix and finding the right balance in a smaller space.
1. Crystorama Lighting Group Broche Antique Gold Six-Light Flush-Mount Fixture / 2. Surya Shiva Silver Wall Mirror / 3. Hudson Valley Marlow Aged Brass Five-Light Pendant / 4. Nourison Fur Dark Grey 20-Inch Pillow / 5. Howard Elliott Collection Bella Moss Green 20-Inch Square Pillow / 6. Control Brand Stilnovo White 32.7-Inch Stylish Dining Chair / 7. Zuo Modern Contemporary Wilco White and Fiberglass Dining Table / 8. Loloi Zadie Black and Ivory Novelty: 3 Ft 6 In x 5 Ft 6 In Rug
Vanessa’s goal for her makeover was to renovate her bedroom into a luxury Parisian retreat, and that’s just what she did. Using a neutral and soft color palette, Vanessa layered in textures and a touch of pattern to keep things interesting. Polishing her room off with a stunning brass chandelier and coordinating brass bedside lamps, Vanessa’s bedroom looks like a luxurious hotel. Perhaps our favorite part of Vanessa’s room, however, is her classic dresser vignette.
Get the Look:
To get the look of Vanessa’s Parisian bedroom, choose a neutral grey color scheme. Accent the room with a velvet headboard, a tufted bench or full curtains in a muted color. Nothing is better for the bedroom than creating a space that is neutral, tranquil and peaceful. However, don’t be afraid to add a few pops of color with a throw pillow or an accent chair.
1. Hillsdale Furniture Carlyle Pewter King Complete Bed / 2. Crystorama Lighting Group Lawson Aged Brass Four-Light Ceiling Mount / 3. Safavieh Home Furniture Sand Linen Pillow Top Ottoman / 4. Dimond Legacies Hamilton Antique Brass One-Light Desk Lamp / 5. e by design Mums the Word Green and Taupe 18-Inch Floral Print Pillow / 6. Arteriors Home Wheaton White Crackle Porcelain Lamp / 7. Uttermost Junius Round Gold Round Mirror / 8. Oriental Furniture Black Fishtail Vase, Width – 16 Inches
Cassie’s formal living room is anything but formal. From a simple sitting room, Cassie transformed her room into a vibrant space that commands your attention. From fuchsia pink to cobalt blue to canary yellow Cassie’s living room is as full of color as it is of life. Books and accessories dot the custom built-in shelves, but perhaps the boldest of all her choices is the overly saturated area rug paired with the dark wall. We love to see designers take risks with color, and this risk was well worth it.
Get the Look:
Get the look of Cassie’s living room by taking some risks with color. Choose an over-dyed Persian rug in a bold fuchsia. Coordinate other elements in your room such as your lighting and accessories. Polished or antiqued brass is very popular with designers, so try an over-sized pendant light with a brass finish, or matching brass wall sconces.
1. Hudson Valley Madison Aged Brass One-Light Wall Sconce with White Shade / 2. Uttermost Gold Henzler Coffee Table / 3. Crystorama Lighting Group Jennings Aged Brass Five-Light Pendant by Libby Langdon / 4. Uttermost Andorra Gold Mirror / 5. Design Accents Leopard Blue Cotton Linen 22 x 22 Decorative Pillow / 6. Uttermost Quintus Almond Armchair / 7. Visual Comfort and Company White Glass Gourd Lamp / 8. nuLOOM Vintage Inspired Violet Rectangular: 5 Ft 5 In x 8 Ft 2 In Rug
Honey We’re Home
Megan designed a gorgeous lavender nursery as she waits for the arrival of her baby girl. From the stripes on the ceiling to the snuggly stuffed toys in their basket, no detail was left out of the design. Megan selected an elaborate beaded chandelier to complete the elegant yet classic look of her nursery. The wonderful thing about Megan’s design is that the room is soft and playful enough for a baby yet as her daughter grows, this room is not in the slightest childish.
Get the Look:
To design your own neutral nursery, select a neutral color scheme that you won’t want to change after a couple of years. Go for a timeless design with elegant lighting and choose décor items that aren’t overly childish. Don’t forget a comfortable glider chair for long, tired nights and a soft plush rug for tummy time.
1. Uttermost Lourosa Antique Gold 39.75-Inch Mirror / 2. Feiss Maarid White Semi Gloss One-Light Mini Pendant LED Bulb Included / 3. Visual Comfort and Company Antique Brass Bryant Floor Lamp / 4. Safavieh Cambridge Lavender and Ivory Rectangular: 5 Ft. x 8 Ft. Rug / 5. Howard Elliott Collection Mink Snow Foot Pouf / 6. Pulaski Furniture Sutton Grey Swivel Glider Recliner
Joanna transformed her industrial lofts bathroom into a peaceful sanctuary for her One Room Challenge. A great example of what a little lighting, storage and texture can do to an otherwise simple space. Joanna overhauled her space without the need for any major overhauling. Filled with thriving plants, natural fabrics and soothing colors, Joanna’s bathroom is any city dweller’s dream.
Get the Look:
Get Joanna’s industrial bathroom look by emphasizing the natural elements you have to work with. If you don’t have a natural brick wall, keep your paint colors neutral. Try a tranquil taupe or a dusty blue. Select fresh white linens and plenty of storage to stow away unsightly bathroom necessities. However, if we have one suggested improvement for your bathroom it would be to upgrade your lighting.
1. Cooper Classics Lawson Mirror / 2. Minka-Lavery Downtown Edison Brushed Nickel 8.25-Inch Three Light Bath Fixture / 3. Pacific Coast Textiles Wavy Luxury Spa White Six-Piece Quick Dry Towel Set / 4. Jaipur Prime PRI05 Coral Rectangular: 2 Ft. 3 In. x 3 Ft. 9 In. Rug / 5. Rod Desyne Faceted Satin Nickel 28 to 48 Inch Curtain Rod / 6. Kalalou Black and White Glaze Circle Ceramic Vase / 7. Oriental Furniture Rattan Beige and Tan 13.25-Inch Round Waste Bin
Cristin’s foyer makes a great first impression with its new and improved look. With a mix of antique accessories and fresh lighting, Cristin maintains a classic look. The large-scale feather bloom wallpaper adds texture to the room, and the intricately painted series of birds in the upstairs hall brings warmth and personality to the space.
Get the Look:
To get the look of Cristin’s welcoming entryway choose a neutral color scheme. Incorporate a large jute area rug; add wallpaper with a large-scale pattern. Hang an over-sized pendant light and add color with blue and white accessories. For a hint of drama and to create the illusion of a larger space hang a large brass mirror.
1. Arteriors Home Porter Gold Leaf 54-Inch Wall Mirror / 2. Uttermost Birds In Nature: 21 x 21-Inch Framed Art, Set of Four / 3. Hudson Valley Sweeny Aged Brass Five-Light Pendant with White Shade / 4. York Wallcoverings Cool Kids Ivory, Cream and Silver Frost Toss The Bouquet Wallpaper / 5. Safavieh Home Furniture Patrick Blue and White Table Lamp / 6. Sterling Industries Mcgill Rattan Wood 21-Inch Ottoman / 7. Oriental Furniture 14 Inch Ladies Blue and White Porcelain Bowl, Width – 14 Inches / 8. Surya Jute Woven Rectangular: 9 Ft. x 13 Ft. Rug
Style Your Senses
Mallory’s bedroom started as basic and beige, but after 6 weeks, it is transformed into a light and airy master retreat. Using a color palate of pale blues, crisp whites and hints of bronze and gold make this space feel so fresh and open. Some of our favorite elements in Mallory’s room include her custom painting behind the bed and her sleek yet classic chandelier.
Get the Look:
To get a light and airy master retreat for yourself choose a color scheme similar to Mallory’s, try a powder blue or an eggshell white for the walls and let the accessories do the talking. Nothing says relaxation like a large upholstered headboard, and for extra drama add floor to ceiling curtains. To keep your room personal, include a few family photos and keepsakes to accessories your nightstands.
1. Arteriors Home Diana Brass Embossed Authentic Horns, Set of Two / 2. Savoy House Hagen Heirloom Brass Nine-Light Chandelier / 3. Howard Elliott Collection Country Gold Bamboo Mirror / 4. Skyline Furniture, Mfg. Linen Sandstone Nail Button Wingback King Bed / 5. IMAX Essentials Celebrations Gold Picture Frames, Set of 2 / 6. Convenience Concepts Designs4Comfort Gray Leg Bench Ottoman / 7. Mariana Imports Cream Gourd One-Light Lamp
A Thoughtful Place
Is this not the room that all little boys dream of? Courtney upgraded her son’s room from its childish décor and bold primary colors into a room that suits a growing boy. The faux wood wall serves as the main attraction of the room and sets the scene for the rustic yet traditional style. A custom built desk for homework fills a corner and an industrial inspired wall sconce hangs bedside for reading.
Get the Look:
Get the traditional rustic look for yourself by incorporating wallpaper that resembles reclaimed wood. Accent with industrial lighting but keep your furnishings more traditional. Add a couple pops of plaid with some throw pillows and you’re well on your way.
1. The Pillow Collection Wilmie Gray 18 x 18 Plaid Throw Pillow / 2. WallPops! Brown Reclaimed Wood Wall Mural / 3. Troy Menlo Park Deep Bronze One Light Wall Sconce / 4. The Pillow Collection Macaulay Black Plaid Pillow / 5. Sterling Industries Rustic Iron, Silver Wall Clock / 6. Uttermost Malcolm Oil Rubbed Bronze One-Light Desk Lamp / 7. Sarreid Leather Cube Footrest / 8. Homeware Rizzo Fog Arm Chair
Kimberly Schlegel Whitman
Kimberly’s equestrian-inspired living room is a true masterpiece. There is not a detail left out of her White Oaks Ranch living room design. Every shelf, wall, nook and cranny is filled with interest and character. Accented with family heirlooms, antique shop finds and plenty of black and white check, Kimberly truly inspires the inner designer in us all with her eclectic mix and eye for detail. While not everyone may go for an equestrian theme, we can all be inspired by Kimberly’s stunning design.
Get the Look:
Get the look of Kimberly’s ranch living room for yourself by mixing the old with the new. Go on the hunt for vintage finds to inspire your space. Choose classic furniture pieces such as a leather tufted ottoman or a traditional accent chair and accent with plaid pillows and throws. Choose a variety of equestrian decor elements new and old for your space. Pair items such as an antique statue, an arrowhead collection or a trophy collection with a new painting and a new lamp, it’s all about the mix.
1. Urban Trends Collection Espresso Brown Resin Horse with Saddle Figurine / 2. Arteriors Home Sydney Snow Marble and Brass Table Lamp / 3. Monarch Collection A Horse Of Course: 12 x 18 Print Reproduction, Set of Four / 4. Wholesale Interiors Pemberly Dark Brown Bonded Leather Square Ottoman / 5. Green Tartan Plaid Fabric Toss Pillow 16 x 16 Inch / 6. Patch Magic Red and Black Plaid,White Lines Fabric Toss Pillow 16 x 16-Inch / 7. Uttermost Scott Aged Black Armchair / 8. Arteriors Home Hockaday Antique Brass Set of 4 Trophies
What do you think of these rooms? Do you have a favorite design? Are you inspired to tackle your own renovation? We’d love to hear from you!