We often think of chandeliers with a sense of the grandiose, but they’re really more approachable than that. Put them in the bathroom, the laundry room or even in the nursery. They are like pieces of jewelry for your home that reflect your personal style. Take a closer look, and you might find that a chandelier is the easiest way to transform your home’s overall design.
But before you select a chandelier, there are a few things you should take into consideration:
- Purpose - amount of light output required
- Scale - size needed based on your room's dimensions
- Height - how high to hang based on size of room and chandelier placement
- Finish - type of finish that will compliment your space
- Style - do you have a particular style in mind?
- Care - how easy is installation? What about long-term care and cleaning?
Knowing what you need from lighting is the key to long-term happiness. If you want light for crafting or to study, ambient lighting isn’t your best option. But if you want general lighting and an ambient light source and a beautiful focal point, then a chandelier is right for you. Ambient lighting, also known as general lighting, dispels light from an indirect light source in a uniform manner. This is different from directional, task, or positional lighting. In some instances, such as a laundry room, it may be the main source of lighting, but it is not considered a task light. Ambient lighting will fill a room with light but will most likely need to be paired or layered with other light sources for optimum room lighting.
A chandelier is also considered decorative lighting. It adds elegance and glamour to your surroundings. You’d add a fixture like this to make an eye-catching statement in the space.